Friday, July 4, 2008

Peach Pie & The 4th of July!

Casa Kennedy!



I found my camera cable! Mike & I are nowhere near unpacked, but we've got the essentials up and running: the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, living room, computer, and of course, the TV. I must make the guilty confession that Mike and I broke down and decided to get cable. I haven't had cable television for over 10 years, so I am like a kid in a candy store right now. We decided to get it as part of a bundle pack. Our neighborhood is not equipped for DSL, so we went with cable modem, which then lead to cable TV. You see, this is how it all starts.

I digress, though. I decided that for the 4Th of July I would make a peach pie. The peach tree in the backyard was loaded with ripening peaches when we got our keys two weeks ago.






I've been doing an okay job at keeping up with the peaches as they've ripened, but this week things picked up a bit. I found myself picking up half-eaten peaches from the ground every day. You see, the birds are having a feast in our backyard. First they picked the cherry tree clean. Now they are working on the peaches. So, last night in a fit of inspiration, I decided to make a peach pie.

I had no idea how friggin' easy a peach pie is to make! I have all sorts of pie dishes, and my favorite is a stoneware one from Pampered Chef. If I remember correctly, it was a gift from my mom a few Christmases ago.

I used a recipe from RecipeZaar, since my cookbooks are all packed away in a box somewhere. I cheated and used prepared pie crust from Trader Joe's.

I started with a bunch of peaches, and sliced them up.



I put down the first pie crust, and then poured in the peach mixture. I followed with the top crust, and sealed it all up!



I also cut some vent holes in the top. I shaped the center vent like a star, in the spirit of the holiday!

I baked it for 20 minutes at a little higher temp than the recipe called for. I did this with the hope that it would set the bottom crust quicker, to avoid sogginess.



After the 20 minutes were up, I put some foil on the edges, since they were beautifully browned. I baked it for another 20 minutes and then let it sit in the oven for another twenty, with the oven off. This is supposed to help the peaches set and the juices continue to boil off as it cools.

The final product is cooling as I type this. The house smells so good! I am going to whip up some fresh cream and bring along some ice cream, for those that would like their pie "a la mode".



Note the cute little start on top! Am I a geek, or what?!



Happy 4Th of July!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pie looks yummy!

Jon

Tracy said...

Thanks! It turned out really good. The Arechiga folks gobbled it right up! Hope you had fun in Berkeley!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy!

It's Jen, your sister's friend! That looks totally yummy and I love your new Abode! CONGRATS!!!!

Jen

Tracy said...

Thanks Jen! How is your new puppy?