Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What are you reading?

I am looking for some ideas for reading. A few months ago I rediscovered the library. I am more often than not guilty of buying books for way too much money, so trying to be budget-minded, I decided to check out the library. I was looking for some books on miscarriage in the midst of paying off my car and a bunch of other debt. I found one book on miscarriage, which wasn't very helpful as it had to do more with later pregnancy loss and infant death than 1st trimester miscarriage. So, I returned it and checked out some fiction. Maybe spending some time in another person's world would distract me from all the drama in my own, right? I picked up Jennifer Weiner's Certain Girls, which I gobbled up and really enjoyed. I also read The Friday Night Knitting Club, which I also enjoyed. After that I found some great books on color and decorating, to help us decide on paint colors for the house.

Now that the dust from the move is beginning to (somewhat) settle, I am thinking about what will be next on my reading list. I'd love to hear what you are currently reading and add it to my currently empty list.

By the way, Crazy Aunt Purl's most recent post inspired me to post this. Feel free to add your current read or favorite read in the comments section!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in a book club so here are the "serious literature" ones we've read that I think you would enjoy:

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns - depressing but loved it

2. The Space Between Us - depressing but loved it

3. Fugitive Pieces - above my head, hated it

4. Light On Snow - liked it

5. Veronika Decides to Die - liked it

6. Naked by David Sedaris - haven't read it yet but book club loves this author

7. Bel Canto - eh.

Easy chicklit reading:

**Something Borrowed - fun!
**Something Blue - less so but still fun!

epoophoron said...

Hey Tracy,

I have no idea if our tastes are similar, but here's what's currently on my "to-read" list:

1) The Eragon trilogy by Christopher Paolini - fiction. I'm partway through the first book. It's light reading and fairly entertaining.

2) The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - fiction. Hosie just read this and loved it.

-Michael

Anonymous said...

You asked the wrong person. I've heard raves about Everything Jesus and the Everything Guide to C.S. Lewis and Narnia. Or maybe I should say I've raved. Would love any feedback....

KonaDogBlog said...

Hi Tracy!
I am surprised your sister and mom haven't chimed in yet ;) We seem to pass books back and forth.

Debbie gave me The Beach recently and I really enjoyed it. Also, Heart Shaped Box was good, by Stephen King's son, Joe Hill.

And now I am reading The Art of Racing in the Rain and I like it a lot.

(Not literary genius by far, but surely entertainment!)

Jen

Anonymous said...

Two books I think you would enjoy are "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency," and "Tears of the Giraffe" by Alexander McCall Smith.

-Hosanna

Jenn said...

"The Belly Button Book" by Sandra Boynton is the Mayer family's current favorite!

My book club is reading a great book right now: "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" by Alexandra Fuller. I have also heard great things about Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven." Sedaris also has a new book out, "When You Are Engulfed in Flames." And, ever since I read it, I suggest for everyone to read--it is your duty as an American--"Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman (you may have already read this o' Lit Major).

Tracy said...

I am so excited! I have the best reading list ever going! I am going to do this every summer - or every couple, depending on how long it takes me to get through all these books!

Anonymous said...

Tracy (my fellow blogger)-

I am not a very big reader but when I do it is usually the trashy stuff the keeps my attention. Currently on the Best Seller list is Are You There Vodka? It's Me Chelsea by Chelsea Handler. She has a talk show on the E Channel. It is a bunch of essays about her life. Pretty funny.

One of the books I read a couple of years ago that I really liked was Yes Man by Danny Wallace. It is a true story about a guy that answered yes to every question or proposal that was asked of him for one year. It is a fun read and made me think about how often I say "No" in my own life.

Oh, and then for a really interesting true life read about growing up in a dysfunctional family try The Glass Castle by Jannette Walls.

Wow...after looking back over my list of suggestions it makes me actually look like I am a reader! Go me!

Just Jon

MurphyDog said...

I 'chucked' a bunch of books at you via Facebook...