Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Process

Making a house a home. That is the business that Mike & I are involved in at the moment. What does it really take to get to that point? I wonder if it is the right furniture, or the color of the walls? Is it the landscaping around the house? Or maybe it has to do with the pictures that we hang on the walls or the curtains that frame and accentuate the windows. Surely, all of these things lend character and personality to a house. These are all factors that come together to create a sense of welcoming and foster a warm home environment. I love the idea of having a guest come to the house and just melt into its warmth, lean into its cozy embrace.

Right now, Mike and I work with a blank canvas. I guess, that with any sort of creation, there is so much that contributes to the whole. Think about a piece of artwork, painted with many layers to create a visual experience that stirs the soul. Tending to a vegetable garden requires time, dedication, and nurturing before producing a sweet summer tomato that explodes with flavor. So I guess that the work of building a home takes time, nurturing, patience, and perseverance.

Patience. That has always been hard for me to come by. I am ready for this house to be a home NOW! Can I stomp my feet, and make this happen any sooner? This is a process that will unfold and develop as we slowly, lovingly unpack each box and hang each picture. With each gesture, each project, Mike and I see the house begin to transform, to reveal itself to us a bit more; to transform from a house to a home.

One of my favorite bits of transformation that has occurred so far is the kitchen and the dining nook. Here are some before and after photos.


The Kitchen Before:




The Kitchen After:




Dining Nook Before:




Dining Nook After:




This will take time. I can't wait to see how this process evolves a house into a home!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I love the transformation! I cannot wait to see Casa Kennedy in its entirety in a couple of weeks!