Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The End of and Era (well, four years, at least)

I have the final diagnosis for my Mac, and let me tell you that there is no good news to report. I contemplated wearing a black armband for the first week, but thought better of it, thinking that I may be risking a bit of melodrama with such action.

I will spare you the gory details of the diagnostics - although I know you are so dying to know. After receiving dismal news from the initial service provider I decided to take the computer to the Apple store for diagnostics with an Apple Genius. I must say that these guys lived up to their name (thanks Tony, thanks Drew!). They worked for nearly three hours to troubleshoot the problem. There were moments of joy and light only to be overshadowed by clouds of darkness and despair. Ultimately, the logic board ended up being fried. I will now proceed to completely geek out and include a picture of the gory details. Viewer discretion is advised.


See how the tops of some caps are silver, and some are silver and kind of a coppery color? Well, all the caps are supposed to be silver, and the copper ones are the caps that are fried. The silver lining to all of this is that I was able to get all of my data. Now I just need to get a computer to put it on . . .


More pregnancy updates in the next post - I promise. Although, I know that this is so enthralling and many of you are secretly thinking, "I wish Tracy would post only about her computer and other areas of geek love in her life."

Happy Wednesday - only two days left in the work week!

2 comments:

MurphyDog said...

could this be leftover damage from the fire that no one noticed?

Poor Mac.

Tracy said...

It is a possibility, but we are outside of the range of our claim periord (2 years from the date of the event), and there is no way to prove the connection. We talked about this when Apple was doing the diagnostics, thinking that if it looked like fire damage that they could provide some sort of documentation. However, when they looked at it they were unable to make a definite connection - saying it could have happened any time.