Monday, February 1, 2010

Sweet Potatoes for My Little Sweet Potato

Yesterday was a big day for us! Not only did Evelyn celebrate her half birthday, she also had her first taste of solids. I used the Wholesomebabyfood.com website for instructions on how to prepare sweet potatoes. The process was easy and straight forward. Here is a pictorial of the process:

I started with two medium organic sweet potatoes. I poked holes in them, wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven to bake.
They baked for about 45 minutes, until they were soft and squishy when I squeezed them. I then unwrapped them and put them in the fridge to cool while we went out for breakfast with Mike's family.

When we got back from breakfast, I slices each sweet potato lengthwise and scooped out the meat. I was surprised at how the meat fell easily away from the skin. You can see the skins folded and stacked in the photo below.
I used the hand blender to puree the meat. I added breastmilk and water to get a thin puree. It wasn't so thin that I could pour it, but it was very smooth. I didn't know how much liquid I would need to thin the puree to the right consistency, so I just kept adding until it looked right. I used about 3.5 ounces of breastmilk and and additional 2 ounces of water.
This is what the finished puree looked like once I put it in the ice cube tray. Each cube is an ounce of food. I froze the cubes and before I went to bed last night, I popped them out of the tray and into a baggie that I labelled with the food and the date prepared. The little bowl on the left is what I reserved to feed Evelyn over a couple of days, so it is now in the fridge.

Once I finished the preparation process we were ready for the fun. Here is the video that Mike took for those first few bites. She seemed to enjoy it after a bit, and ate about an ounce total.


I already had the joy of changing the first poopy diaper since we fed her and oh boy, we are in for a treat from here on out!

3 comments:

BabyWid said...

Glad the first food went well! I use that same website, I love it!!

Claudia said...

I love the look on her face when the first bit goes in - priceless!

Just Jon said...

This is my new favorite video of Evelyn. Thanks for sharing!