Friday, April 10, 2009

And the Belly Grows

I can't believe it has been almost 2 weeks since I last posted a belly shot! I guess that time is starting to really fly by. I feel a little nervous as I think about this, considering there is still a lot to do to prep for the arrival our Tiny Dancer. I have a list of things to get done - among which is the childbirth prep.

My goal is to have an unmedicated birth. I hope to be able to trust in my body's ability to guide me through the process. My intention is to accept the process versus fighting against it - whether in the form of fear or in the form of reactive resistance to the pain and intensity of each contraction. I have not done this before - apart from trusting my body's process of miscarrying the baby last year.

My doctor gave the the option of a d & c or to naturally miscarry, and I opted to go for the natural route. The process took about a week from start to finish. Although, considering the estimation that that heart had stopped beating at 6 weeks and my body didn't begin to miscarry until three weeks later, I guess the whole process took about a month in total.

I know that I had contractions during the miscarriage. However, miscarrying a very early pregnancy is a very different physical process than birthing a full term baby. Basically, I have no idea what I am in for.

Which leads me back to the chilbirth preparation class. We begin at the end of this month and the class spans the duration of 9 weeks - meeting once weekly. After some research, I decided to sign us up for the Bradley Method class. I won't go into much detail today - but here is a link for more info, for those of you who are interested in learning more about it.

Here is a little blurb on the Bradley Method:

  • The Bradley Method® teaches natural childbirth and views birth as a natural process.
  • It is our belief that most women with proper education, preparation, and the help of a loving and supportive coach can be taught to give birth naturally.
  • The Bradley Method® is a system of natural labor techniques in which a woman and her coach play an active part.
  • It is a simple method of increasing self-awareness, teaching a woman how to deal with the stress of labor by tuning in to her own body.
  • The Bradley Method® encourages mothers to trust their bodies using natural breathing, relaxation, nutrition, exercise, and education.

So, I look forward to the classes as the next step in preparing for this baby. It couldn't come at a better time, either. I notice that as each week passes, the reality that I will be birthing this baby settles in a little more. This week my feeling have been more towards the "holy shit!!" end of things versus the groovy "all is good, trust the body's knowing" side of things. I'll tell you - I practice acceptance and letting go all the time with this whole process. What a transformative experience.

I was a little late in taking my 24-week belly shot, so the two that I have to post are only four days apart.

Here goes!


24 weeks!

25 weeks!

Man, I always have Mike take these pictures first thing in the morning, right after I finish getting ready for work. I wish I looked so freshly primped all day long!!


2 comments:

KonaDogBlog said...

Ahh! I am sure you look totally cute all day long! Love reading about your journey....keep up the..uh...good work :P

Ambrosia said...

Sounds like you have a great attitude towards your birth experience. A book I found helpful was Birthing From Within. And what a great belly!