Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hot Tub Hijinks

When Mike & I saw this house, we were pretty excited about the hot tub that was in the backyard. It looked like it was in pretty good condition so we were hopeful that it would run well.

Mike has been working for the past couple of weeks to get the hot tub up and running. We first had to figure out what the make and model was, since it was about 10 years old or so. After a bit of investigating, Mike figured that one out. In the course of doing that, he was also able to get an instruction manual and a filter.

The first week that we had the house we noticed that the hot tub was a massive breeding ground for mosquitoes. Yuck. So, I called county vector control and had them come out to treat the water. We refilled the tub and treated the water, running it intermittently. This was before getting the new filter, so we still weren't using it yet. Just recently we noticed that it yet again had some little swimmers wiggling this way and that, content with their little home. Boo. So, Mike drained the tub - again. This time we were a little more prepared. Mike was able to open up the front of the surround where the control panels are located and really inspect everything.

He also cleaned the interior of the spa out while it was empty and put in the new filter. He had to troubleshoot some of the system and I am happy (and proud) to report that he has so far successfully fixed each newly diagnosed problem as it arose.

When we originally had the spa inspected the tech said that the spa was in good condition and then proceeded to charge us $175 for his time. The whole experience pissed me off a bit, because he came highly reviewed by Yelp and originally quoted me $75 for the inspection. I was not home during the inspection and somehow he talked his way into a final price that was way higher than what he quoted me, without doing much of anything except for telling us to move the electrical box and give us some chemicals.

This was during the first week that we had the house, so we were so busy with a million little projects that when I found out about him overcharging I just decided to let it go - that was a battle I just did not have the energy to pick at that time.

Now, about the electrical box. Mike consulted with an electrician at work about the necessity of moving the box due to risk of shock/electrocution, either of which would be very very bad (how's that for stating the obvious?). The electrician at his work informed him that the the box is rated for outdoor use, which means that it is made to withstand the elements - rain especially. He also explained that the circuit breaker is extremely sensitive and made to trip in the incident of some sort of water exposure beyond what it is designed for. So, we haven't decided if we are going to move the box or not.

There are other bits and pieces that Mike is working on with the spa, but really, if you made it this far in the post you are a trooper. I mean, how interesting can this be to all of you, my 2.5 loyal readers? (BTW, the .5 is accounted for the person that makes it at least part of the way through the post before navigating away from the page!)

Long story short, we refilled the tub and revved her up. This morning was the first run, and our first dip! The water took a bit to heat up and I had a hair appointment this morning, so I got in before it was completely heated. The water was about 93 when I was in the tub, and it was wonderful!

The jets are the best and my back felt great after my quick dip! By the time I got home from my appointment with my rockin' new 'do, the spa was up to 105! Granted, it is a million degrees outside today, so it isn't too tempting to get in. Once the cool nights come creeping in, however, we will be so spoiled!

By the way, gold stars to you if you read all the way to the end of this titillating post. :) As a bonus reward (apart from the gold stars, duh) here are a few pics of the tub, Mike in the tub, and my new look.

My dashing husband, striking a pose.



Sharkie (We are home of the San Jose Sharks, so how appropriate is this??)



The Tub
(you should be hearing "hallelujah, hallelujah" in the background right now)



I am so stylie!


Update! Update! Update! Update! Update! Update!

Just a bit after I published this original post, Mike was working on getting the spa surround ready for repair, when he stumbled upon this hornet's nest! Yowza!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for the working hot tub! Boo hiss for the hornets! Kudos to Mr. Kennedy for his excellent mad skillz.

Props to Mrs. Kennedy on her stylin' do.